If you aren’t happy with your teeth, then you probably aren’t sharing your smile with the world around you very often. Yellowed or discolored teeth can make us self-conscious, and that can affect our confidence, our personal relationships, and the first impressions that we make when meeting someone new. Thankfully, our Alexandria dental office offers two great teeth whitening methods:
- In-Office Teeth Whitening. This painless procedure takes about an hour in our office. The dentist applies a bleaching agent to your teeth and then activates it with a special light while you relax in our comfortable dental chairs. You’ll be able to read, watch TV, or listen to music while the bleaching agent gets to work on your teeth and turns them several shades whiter.
- At-Home Teeth Whitening. Our at-home solution is stronger than the kits that you can buy at the local drug store and offer more dramatic results. You’ll use a custom-fit bleaching tray on your teeth in the comfort of your own home. The process takes longer than our in-office process but can last for more than a year with good dental hygiene habits.
While these are two great options, they might not be right for everyone. Factors like the condition of your teeth could mean that neither at-home nor in-office teeth whitening is an option. In these cases, our Alexandria dentist has other options that could be right for you.
Teeth Whitening Alternatives
Tooth bonding is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that involves bonding a composite resin to the surface of the natural tooth. A skilled dentist can sculpt the resin to look like a real tooth, making it virtually impossible for anyone to tell that you’ve had work done to your teeth. This will cover up the front of the tooth and provide it with a new appearance.
Veneers are thin porcelain overlays which are bonded to the tooth. The porcelain material is great for giving the appearance of natural teeth and can be used to hide discoloration or other cosmetic issues. The veneers are strong enough to work like your natural teeth, allowing you to eat, drink, and speak just as you normally would do.
Lumineers are similar to porcelain veneers but are instead made of a ceramic material. Lumineers are made in a lab outside of the dental clinic. Our dentist will take an impression of your teeth and send it to the Lumineers lab where they’ll make a veneer that perfectly fits over your teeth. Our dentist then bonds the veneer to your natural teeth for total stability and comfort.
Dental crowns are a good solution if you find that you need both cosmetic and restorative work done to your teeth. Crowns cover the entire teeth, not just the front or sides, so they are used when there has been damage done to more than just the front of the tooth. When this cap is put in place then the functionality, as well as the look of the tooth, is restored. They can help you keep your natural teeth for longer, too.
Find the Teeth Whitening Option That’s Right for You
So which of these teeth whitening options is right for you? Make an appointment with our Alexandria cosmetic dentist today to find the solution that’s best for you.
- First, talk to the dentist about your concerns concerning the appearance of your teeth. Now is the time to be honest so the dentist can start to consider options that may work for you.
- Next, the dentist will take you through a comprehensive evaluation to determine the current health of your teeth and whether or not the concerns you have are purely cosmetic or not.
- Finally, the dentist will recommend a care plan that will address any dental issues you are experiencing as well as any cosmetic concerns you might have. Feel free to ask questions or get clarification on this treatment plan so you know what to expect.
If you’re ready for whiter, brighter teeth, then it’s time to make an appointment with Mojgan Mazhari, DDS. You can do so by giving our office a call or contacting us through our website. A member of our scheduling team will work with you to find an appointment that fits into your busy schedule.
Dr. Mazhari is an Alexandria dentist with specializing training in TMJ, sleep apnea, dental implants, Invisalign and, lumineers, and is known for her compassionate, caring manner and comprehensive approach to dental care. She strives to build a lasting relationship built on patient focused dentistry and mutual trust.